Saturday 13 April 2013

Endings and Beginnings

Hello again friends! I'm so pleased you dropped in to have a little look at what I've been up to, and I trust you are well and finding lots of time to enjoy your creative activities, whatever they may be.

My days have been pleasantly interrupted of late by friends popping in and catching up on this and that, but nevertheless I did manage to finish the fuchsia cardigan and I'm really glad it's done! Not that it was a difficult job really, for the fan and feather pattern is quite simple to follow, but ...  ....  ... it turned out  that it was knit in one piece from the beginning right up to shaping for the armholes and yes, I'm one of those people who don't like circular needles for I learned to tuck the right needle under my arm when knitting and that's how it's been all those millions of years for me. The circular needle doesn't allow for that, does it! So there was me struggling with 252 stitches on an ordinary knitting needle - a round of sympathy please!!! Thank you!


Having said all that, I am happy with the finished product and without further ado, here it is:






What do you think? The pattern is not everyone's 'cup of tea' of course, but the colour - isn't it so bright and cheery, which is just what we need for Autumn/Winter approaching.


So now would you like to see the 'Beginning' part of this post? Well these little granny squares come from a tutorial which the lovely Sharron of Annie's Place very kindly and patiently put together - thank you so much Sharron! 'Happy Flower' is the name Sharron chose to call her post where you'll find this pattern, if you'd like to check back.




 

I have not, as yet, decided what I'll do with these little grannies - they could become a cushion or even a knee-rug, but I did originally decide to stay with blues for this project. Now I'm not so sure! I definitely want to keep the navy and white as the two outer colours, but now am beginning to think it might be rather nice to include some other shades in the centre parts - maybe a couple of pinks or mauves here and there. I surely would welcome your suggestions!



This little bird, which my daughter bought me some time ago, is rather attracted to this one!


On another subject now, a rather lovely native Australian plant - Hakea Laurina, more commonly known as Pin-cushion Hakea.





Above we have the flower bud in it's perfectly  beautiful little 'casing', then 24 hours later and hey presto, below, that lovely protection has given way to the sweet little pin-cushion flower. How amazing is mother nature - everything so well planned and brought to fruition!



In a 'past life' one of my favourite hobbies for quite some time was water-colour painting, and this type of study had me totally absorbed for hours on end. 


Now I would really like to include a couple more 'nature type' pics, if my trusty friend here will allow me: let's try eh?




Good little computer! So - this is the Liquid Amber which many of you will be familiar with - but I was so taken with the colours of this beautiful specimen the other day, it seemed like a pic or two would be a good idea although the colours don't appear to be quite so brilliant as they seemed on my camera. Ah well, we do our best don't we!

It's time for me to go so, until next time, do what you best enjoy doing and keep well and safe. Thank you so much for looking in and for taking the time to leave me a message - I do so love to hear from you.

Joy x




15 comments:

  1. Hello Joy. That cardigan is beautiful I really like the bright girlie colour. Your pictures are pretty. The colours in the granny squares are really fresh and have a sort of coastal feel lovely!
    Your native plant is lovely not seen one like that before very unusual.
    Thanks or sharing great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for your lovely encouraging comments forgetmenots blue! I'm so glad you dropped by and like what you saw - I really appreciate it - it gives me a lift! Joy x

      Delete
  2. That cardigan is a real accomplishment Mum! Such a gorgeous colour.
    love
    Trace
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trace! Thank you! I'm really happy you like it! x

      Delete
  3. Hi Joy, thanks for your comment and nice to meet you! maybe you could mix in some pinks and purples, it would make a lovely rug or cushion. See how far the inspiration takes you! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, glad to see you here and thank you so much for your input - I'll 'go with the flow', as they say! Joy x

      Delete
  4. Hi Joy,

    What a superb job you've done on the cardi, I absolutely LOVE the colour!! I bet it looks lovely on you. I'm so pleased to see your 'Happy Flower' blocks, they're FAB. The blues are great, but there's certainly no harm in adding a few more colours into the mix. Can't wait to see what becomes of them.

    Mother nature is indeed amazing, as shown in your wonderful pics x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharron, I'm delighted to receive your lovely compliments, thank you so much! I have now decided to stay with 'the blues' after all and am looking forward to a show and tell soon - in the meantime many thanks to you for the neat tute, it was so easy to follow. X

      Delete
  5. Your blog has been a JOY to read! I am about to start a fuchsia cardigan for my daughter. For someone who doesn't like circulars your knitting is really even and neat. I think that would compliment anyone's summer wardrobe. Jo xx

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/injury-in-action.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo, I'm so glad you popped in! Thank you so much for your lovely message and compliments and all the best with your daughter's cardi; I'll look forward to your post when the time comes around to show and tell. Joy x

      Delete
  6. Hi Joy, your blog is beautiful. I am so glad I pop over to visit. So sorry it took me awhile for you have been visiting mine for a few weeks now. Life has been busy and during my down time...I sew a little and then I crochet a little. Your sweater is so pretty. I really love the color and I so wish I knew how to knit....maybe that is a talent I will master one day! Good job on it! Your squares are also so pretty. I love them just the way they are but if you like, just play around with different colors and one will just say "yes" that's it. I see a blanket out of them...if you keep making more!
    Have fun. I am now your newest follower!
    xx Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Shari - I'm delighted to have you on board and to receive your lovely comments, thank you! If and when you are ready to tackle knitting I'm sure you will master it very easily and do a lovely job with it, just as with your other hobbies; I have spent many hours knitting but am so 'hooked' on crochet now - the cardi was my first project in a few years. Isn't it nice to have choices! Joy xx

      Delete
  7. Hello Joy,
    I don't know how I arrived on your blog but I'm happy I did as I have so enjoyed looking back through your posts and pictures.
    I love the cardigan and wonder if you can give more details on the pattern and where it can be purchased. Feather and Fan is one of my favourite stitch patterns - such a pretty colour too.
    I've joined as a new follower and look forward to seeing more of your lovely projects.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Margaret,
    I'm glad you found your way here - welcome to my little space and thank you for your lovely message!
    The pattern and yarn are from Bendigo Woollen Mills, here in Australia. The pattern is PT8321 and this yarn is an 8ply, BWM 'Luxury' - which is 100% Wool, this particular colour being Fuchsia. You can also use their other ranges of 8ply for this pattern!
    BWM do ship overseas and you can find them at: www.bendigowoollenmills.com.au
    I hope that is helpful for you, and I look forward to catching up with you again soon.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Joy :)
    Looking forward to following you here on your blog.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete